Wednesday, March 23, 2005

My dinner today...

What a convoluted way to get dinner. Two days ago I was reading through Esuriente's blog and saw that she had made the Broccoli Cornmeal Upside Down Cake invented by Clotilde of Chocolate and Zucchini's fame. I had seen the recipe when I perused Clotilde's blog and at the time I thought it was unusual. Would I like it? I wasn't sure. I like broccoli and I like cornmeal, but both together???

Somehow, seeing the picture in Nikki's blog got me interested, I realized that I had all the ingredients at hand and today I decided to make it.

The cottage cheese I had was different than the one the recipe called for; it is compressed in a block and tastes a little sour (I'll never buy it again). Because the cheese was so dry I added a little milk to the wet mixture. It was also a good opportunity to test my brand-new toaster oven to bake the cake.

As you can see by the picture above, the cake came out fabulous. It was not bad, although I believe the sour taste of the pressed cottage cheese lingered a bit. Also I found out that I did not put enough salt. And the little toaster oven passed with flying colours.

I certainly plan to make it again and this time I will put more broccoli, use the regular cottage cheese and add a little more salt. A it is, I ate half of the cake that is supposed to serve 4. I wonder how much would I have eaten if all was perfect?

No comments: