Saturday, July 02, 2005

Whole-wheat Bran Oat Bread

I have to thank Kelli for the wonderful idea of making the bread in the bread maker using the dough cycle and then put the dough in a pan and bake in the oven. Just take a look at this beauty.
I've had my bread machine for a while now and although I liked the breads I made in it, I hated the large cube format of the finished product. I know the booklet shows how you can program the machine for dough and then take out and make small buns, pizza, and other free form breads. I was always afraid that once I took it out, it would get cold and not rise at all. But I've seen in Kelli's blog, loaf after beautiful-looking loaf and lost my fear. After all, it seemed simple enough. Thanks Kelli!

The recipe is from the book Favorite Bead Machine Recipes, by Norman A. Garrett, page 112, and I made the 1 1/2 pound loaf. Besides the bread flour, it also includes oat flour, oat bran and whole-wheat flour. For the oat flour I used large-flake oatmeal that I ground in batches in a small coffee grinder that I use to grind flax

Whole-Wheat, Bran and Oat Bread

2 teaspoons active dry yeast (I used rapid-rise)
3 tablespoons brown sugar (I used regular sugar--that's all had)
1 1/2 tablespoons gluten powder
1 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour
1/3 cup oat bran
3/4 cup oat flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
2 scant teaspoons salt
3 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cups warm water (I used room-temperature)

Put all ingredients in the bread maker and program for dough cycle (about 1 hour and 30 minutes). Grease the pan you are going to use to bake the bread.

Once the machine beeps, take out the dough, press down to deflate a little and with your hands quickly make a rectangle with the larger side about the length of the bread pan. Roll the dough and put into the pan, seam-side down.

Now you are supposed to put in a warm place and let rise for about 30 minutes. I put mine inside the oven with the pilot light on. After about 30 minutes I switched the oven on and let the temperature go up to 400F. The bread cooked in about 25 minutes.

I have not tasted it yet. Will update this entry tomorrow.

Update on July 5, 2005: The bread is indeed very tasty. I prefer it toasted with a little bit of butter and the strawberry jam I just made.

13 comments:

Nic said...

I'm glad you were able to successfully bake non-cubed bread, Ana. And I'm pretty sure that we can all tell by looking that gorgeous interior that the bread tasted great.

Anonymous said...

Your bread looks wonderful. The bread machine method makes combining yeast, water and flour seem much less intimidating. :o)

FoodNinja said...

That is one sexy looking loaf.. I use my bread machine to bake rice.. I have lost the mixy thing a long move ago but I still use it.. It is the only one I have seen that had a rice button

Elvira said...

Sempre tive algumas dúvidas em relação às máquinas de fazer pão. Parece que está muito na moda... Felizmente, tenho um padeiro excelente, daqueles que deixam o saco do pão na porta, que faz deliciosos pães à lenha, bastante diversificados (mistura, integral, milho, etc.). Mas o seu pão parece-me excelente, Ana.

Kelli said...

I'm so flattered. =) Did you notice a difference in texture when you baked bread this way, as opposed to letting the machine bake it? When I used to bake bread in the machine, it always seemed dry and crumbly, even fresh out of the machine. I think that oven baking is a HUGE improvement. I'm glad your endeavor was successful!

Ana said...

Nic & Liz: Thanks! Yes the bread actually tastes really good.

Templar: Funny, never heard of a bread/rice maker before. Can you contact the company about the mix handle? Maybe they still have parts available.

Elvira: Tenho saudades dos papo-secos no saco pedurados na porta logo de manhã. Aqui não temos esse luxo.

Kelli: Now that you mention it you are right. Thanks for all your bread recipes. I have some printed out that I want to try soon, now that I've got the hang of it.

Dawna said...

You'll never go back to monster bread-cubes again! Your bread looks terrific - I have a recipe for honey bran bread that I've been meaning to dig out for weeks, so you've inspired me to get on with it with this adorable loaf. I bet it's killer, toasted...

Michèle said...

Hi,
the bread looks great. I imagine you will have a great deal of fun rediscovering your bread maker!

Randi said...

That bread looks great. EVOO is Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Rachel Ray always says " Evoo, followed by Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Its kinda funny that she uses an abbreviation, then calls it what it is.

Just Me said...

I use my bread maker to make dough for a French baguette. To bake the bread you put it in a cold oven with a pan of boiling water underneath, and then spritz the bread with water 2 or 3 times during baking. It makes the best French bread!

I also use my bread maker to make pizza dough. Very tasty.

Ana said...

What a good idea Heather. I'll try that!

darell hartlen said...

I've always hated the shape of the bread as well. Maybe it's time to try this out...

Wish me luck!

Your fellow Canuck,

Darell

Ana said...

Good luck Darrel. Let me know how it goes!