Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Gnocchi with Red Pepper Sauce

Dreska has called for May to be the pasta month, and so yesterday I made this dish that I saw for the first time in the November 1997 issue of Canadian Living Magazine. I was, at the time, trying to make more vegetarian meals and this recipe caught my attention. We all loved this dish and I still make it regularly.


The original recipe called for fresh gnocchi from the supermarket aisles. It is an easy recipe to make, very fillings and the intense flavour of the red pepper in the sauce is just scrumptious. I was planning to make my own gnocchi but unfortunately time is scarce right now so I opted for using packaged fresh gnocchi.

Gnocchi with Rep Pepper Sauce
3 medium red peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup canned tomatoes
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
600 grams fresh pasta
6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated

Seed and core the red peppers and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. In a large skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat; cook the onions, red peppers, garlic, basil, salt and pepper, stirring often, for about 12 minutes or until the onions are softened. Add tomatoes and vinegar. Bring to a boil and cook until liquid is reduced.

Meanwhile, in large pot of boiled salted water, cook the gnocchi according to package directions, until they float in the surface. Drain. Mix with the sauce and divide into 6 portions.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mais ume deliciosa receita! E saudável...

Nic said...

Oh, this red pepper sauce sounds great, Ana. Next time I'm having pasta...

portuguesa nova said...

Delicious. Gnocchi is a serious weakness of mine...pure carbs.

Lady Amalthea said...

This sounds (and looks) really wonderful. Gnocchi's my favorite pasta; I'll definitely make this next time I'm making pasta.

Maria Luisa said...

I always prepare my gnocchis with tomatoes and parmigiano, but I'll try them with red peppers next time.

Ana said...

It is a great recipe and easy to make. I have it often. Thanks for the nice comments guys.