Saturday, May 14, 2005

The Garden

I apologize for staying away from this blog for all this time but now that the snow is gone and the days are warmer, many of my days will be spent starting my garden. I have not done much until now. The house needed several big repairs including moisture protection to the foundation wall and there's nothing better to wreck gardens that digging around the foundation.

You can see in the picture of my front garden (maybe front earth expanse would be a more apt term) and also the backyard. I am going to take a week off work and order about 22 cubic yards of black earth (a full truck load). It is going to be backbreaking work.

3 comments:

Darlene said...

Wow, all that virgin earth to start creating your own habitat. What kind of flowers are you going to plant? Coneflowers for sure, I hope, if they grow in your neck of the woods. So beautiful, and they attract butterflies like crazy. Keep us updated on your progress!

brownbreadicecream said...

Sorry, Ana, I asked in a different comment if you'd blogged about your garden-to-be. And I see that you have.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I second Darlene that I hope you'll keep us updated. In Japan, having a garden is almost an unheard of luxury, and I find myself a bit dizzy from the sight of all the surrounding green. Can't wait to see more!

Will you have herbs or any edible plants--I love those the best, of course!

Ana said...

Darlene, I am thinking about roses, daylilies, asters and others that do well in this area. My neighbours are so very nice and are giving me plants from their gardens that have outgrown their space.

Rachel, yes I intend to update the blog of my gardening efforts as well as cooking and the renovation. I intend to put flowers in the front garden. The backyard will have only vegetables and herbs, of course.